Thursday, April 25, 2013

Waiting for a rainbow.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill

I love what I do. Although I still hold on to my dream of being a sociology professor, student affairs will always be a passion of mine. I know that this field can be known as filled with rainbows, ice breakers, hugs, fluffy conversations, and team builders. Yet, somewhere in between the hugs and team builders I found mistrust and invalidation. The good intentions have not matched the impact that certain actions have had on me. This place has become dark and I am clouded. "If you are going through hell, keep going," and that is what I am trying to do. I know that there will be better days filled with rainbows.

In a time when I doubt my purpose in this place, I have found that I am not alone in this hell. In times of hardship, we have supported each other. We have inspired to advocate for us and to others. We have not been silenced and we will continue to advocate for each other and ourselves until we are heard. In times of darkness, I have realized who are my friends and who still struggle to deal with their truth, areas of growth, and privilege. As I continue on this path, I am reminded that survival is not what I need to accomplish. I need to flourish and be fruitful. 

As I walk through hell, I know that I am not alone and that we must keep going.

No comments:

Post a Comment